L. DAVID CROMWELL - Partner.
- Banking Law
- Commercial Law
- Real Estate Law
- Commercial Litigation
David's practice is concentrated in the areas of commercial finance, banking and real estate, including particularly construction lending, asset-based financing, real property acquisitions and leasing, commercial loan workouts, commercial foreclosures, and negotiations of a wide variety of contracts. An Order of the Coif graduate of Tulane Law School, he is listed in Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading individual in the field of banking and finance. He is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers and is a licensed title insurance agent for First American Title Insurance Company of Louisiana. A member of the Council and Vice President of the Louisiana State Law Institute, David presently serves as reporter of its Security Devices Committee, which drafted the recently enacted revision of the Civil Code titles on security and pledge as well as the 2019 comprehensive revision of the Louisiana Private Works Act. He is also a member of its Uniform Commercial Code Committee and was an active participant in that committee's adaptation of revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code for enactment in Louisiana. David is the author of Louisiana Secured Transactions, a treatise in Thomson-Reuters' Louisiana Practice Series, and a co-author of Secured Credit: Louisiana and American Perspectives, a law school casebook on Louisiana security devices. He is also the author of numerous published articles on secured interests in farm products, vendor's privileges, real obligations, and the Private Works Act. He is a frequent lecturer on secured lending, real property law and other commercial topics and has lectured on secured lending each year at the annual Bank Counsel Conference of the Louisiana Bankers Association for over 30 years.
- Tulane University of Louisiana - J.D., magna cum laude, 1983
- Order of the Coif
- Admitted to bar, 1983, Louisiana
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- AV rated lawyer - Martindale.com
- Member of the Council and Vice-President of the Louisiana State Law Institute (Reporter of the Security Devices Committee, and Reporter of the Coordinating, Semantics, Style and Publications Committee and the Possessory Actions Committee; Member of the UCC Committee, the Water Code Committee, the Constitutional Laws Committee, the Counterletters Committee, the Rents and Annuities Committee, the Lease of Movables Act Committee, the Prescription Committee, the Utility Servitudes Committee, and the Respite Committee. Also served as reporter of the Component Parts Committee)
- Louisiana Bankers Association, Bank Counsel Section (Chairman, 1994-1995 and 2005-2006)
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Immediate Past Chairman, Louisiana State Supreme Court Committee on Bar Admissions (Previously served as examiner for Code III Section of the Louisiana State Bar Examination, 2004—2014; Member of the Testing Committee, 2014 to present)
- Member, MPRE Advisory Committee, National Conference of Bar Examiners (2018-present).
- Shreveport and Louisiana State Bar Associations
- Society of Bartolus
- Shreveport Rotary Club, Paul Harris Fellow
- American Bar Fellow
- Member, Committee of One Hundred, Inc.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS & WORKS
- L. David Cromwell, Louisiana Secured Transactions, 2020-2021 Ed. (Thomson Reuters, 2020)(Louisiana Practice Series)
- L. David Cromwell and Mallory C. Waller, Reworking Louisiana's Private Works Act, 80 La. L. Rev. 993 (2020)
- L. David Cromwell and Chloé Chetta, Divining the Real Nature of Real Obligations, 92 Tul. L. Rev. 127 (2017)
- Cromwell, Tooley-Knoblett, Trahan and Odinet, Secured Credit: Louisiana and American Perspectives (Wolters Kluwer, 2017)(law school casebook)
- Principal author, Report of the Louisiana State Law Institute to the Louisiana Legislature in Response to SCR No. 102 of 2015, Recordation of Assignments of Residential Mortgages (Jan. 16, 2018)
- Principal author, Report of the Louisiana State Law Institute to the Louisiana Legislature in Response to HCR No. 93 of 2012, Repossession of Collateral by Sureties (Sept. 14, 2015)
- L. David Cromwell, Vendor’s Privilege: Adheret Visceribus Rei, 75 La. L. Rev. (2015)
- L. David Cromwell, Secured Interests in Louisiana Crops: The 2010 Revision, 71 La. L. Rev. 1175 (2011)
- Principal author, Report of the Louisiana State Law Institute to the Louisiana Legislature in Response to SCR No. 122 of 2008, Secured Interests in Crops (Mar. 12, 2010).
- Principal author, Report of the Louisiana State Law Institute to the Louisiana Legislature in Response to SR No. 158 of 2012, Louisiana Lien Laws (Private Works Act) (Feb. 15, 2013)
- Principal author,Report of the Louisiana State Law Institute to the Louisiana Legislature in Response to HCR No. 15 of 2011 Relative to Purchase Money Mortgages (Nov. 12, 2014)